Exciting short talks on cutting-edge topics by young researchers at UC Berkeley
6:30 pm, 4th Fridays of the Month
Scarlet City Espresso Bar
Grounds for Science is a public science talk series organized by and featuring UC Berkeley graduate students. GfS takes place the 4th Friday of every month at Scarlet City Espresso Bar in Emeryville. Accessible by BART and AC Transit, Scarlet City is a science-fiction-themed cafe that offers a small, intimate environment, home-roasted coffee, select beers and snacks, and a collection of sweet pinball machines.
Be sure to check the calendar for upcoming programs!
Grounds for Science is a talk series that features young UC Berkeley researchers in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) community.
Grounds for Science aims to:
• Engage and inform the public about cutting-edge STEM research at UC Berkeley and about fascinating science topics in general
• Encourage open discussion in an informal setting between the researchers and the local public
• Provide an opportunity for graduate students and postdocs to practice science communication
• Rekindle in young scientists the excitement of sharing their knowledge with those who are enthusiastic to receive it
For more information about our series, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, check out our past event archive, and come attend an upcoming event!
We welcome all UC Berkeley graduate students and postdoctoral researchers in STEM to share their research with a non-technical but science-enthused audience. You will gain experience in science communication, a powerful skill often overlooked in academic settings.
• Topics are not limited to your specific research project and can focus on a field in general
• Talks should be geared towards a public audience and be 12-15 minutes without interruption
• Our audiences are encouraged to interrupt and ask questions throughout to promote an informative discussion
If you are unsure about participating, we invite you to join us for one of our events to observe and see what it’s like. Don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com with more questions!